Friday, June 22, 2007

My New Diet - Eat All Day

Well, I'm no nutritionist (and I've heard I might possibly be a communist) but from what I've read, the best way to be healthy and lose weight is to increase your metabolism. Most diets based on cutting calories actually DECREASE your metabolism. While you are taking in less calories, the body decides that in order to be able to survive, it must slooooowwww down it's activity so that it can save as much calories and fat as necessary for the impending starvation! So after drop-kicking 39 pounds off your ass eating only 800 calories per day, your metabolism is absolutely destroyed. Unbeknownst to you, you resume regular eating only to find that in a couple months you're packing on the pounds at a higher rate than before.

Anyway one of the main ways (along with building lean muscle) to increase metabolism is to eat 5-6 small meals per day. So here's what I've been doing for a week and the reasons why:

On my new eating schedule I'm attempting to do 3 things: 1) reduce my total number of calories for the day 2) do so without increasing my hunger 3) fool my body into thinking that food is ALWAYS coming so it doesn't go into starvation mode.

Meal #1 @ 9:15am. I just bring some cereal to work with a small container of milk. It seems like it's not enough but it's only meant to fill you for about 2-3 hours.

Meal #2 @ 11:30am. W
hether I bring my lunch or buy it, I need a portion about the size of a regular quiznos sub and a bag of chips. I divide the chips and the sub and eat half for lunch. At this time I also stop in the cafeteria and grab an apple and a yogurt or a cup of real diced fruits (not the suger-laden fruitcups).

M
eal #3 @ 2:00pm.
I go ahead eat the other half of my earlier meal at my desk. Because I've already eaten 2 times before this, I'm not starving for it even though I've eaten relatively little.

Meal #4 @ 5:00pm. Fruits time! At this point, I've already made it a point to eat 3 times today so I've sort of conquered the daily hunger slowly without feeling ridiculously full or hungry.

Meal #5 @ 7:30pm If we go to dinner I just pack up half of it again and save it for another day. At around 9 or 10 if I feel a little hungry, I grab a few slices of turkey.

All in all, that's way less than I usually eat, but without the dreadful hunger. I think that this schedule coupled with some weight lifting and cardio can be a great model to become healthy, raise your metabolism, and NOT constantly feel either guilty or starved.

No comments: