Thursday, July 5, 2007

When Strawberry Shortcake Turns Evil

Ian, I think everyone has a different answer. I love watching the numbers on the scale plunge. But I hate it when they creep up after a July 4th celebration filled with dogs and burgers. The rising scale always makes me feel weak and undisciplined. Regardless I have a daily confession with my scale because it refocuses me when I'm performing poorly.

I weighed in on Monday at 228. Proud of my 1.5 pound weight loss I celebrated with a cheeseburger, onion rings and a shared Strawberry Short Cake dessert at Ted's Montana Grill. I followed that up with an Independence Day celebration that included 3 hot dogs, 1 cheeseburger, a pound of tortilla chips, and some novel invention called a cookie cake. This morning the scale laughed out a 231.

Curious about the dramatic three pound weight gain I took a closer look at the calories.

Burger: 340 calories
Bun: 300 calories
Onion Rings: 1,000 K for 10 rings
Strawberry Shortcake: 1,500 calories
Cookie Cake: No idea but at least 400 calories

The numbers don't lie. My lunch on Monday deposited 1,700 calories into my belly and my July 4th feast added an extra 2,200. So I say weigh yourself everyday because it can help prevent a one or two day slip up from becoming a "Jeez, how did I gain 25 pounds this year"

No comments: