Wednesday, March 28, 2012


While I was visiting San Diego, I had the incredible opportunity to take my workouts to the waterfront. My first full day there I did a 2 mile run to the Mission Bay Aquatic Center, where I then completed a 2 hour stand up paddling (SUP) session. It was awesome. I could hardly move my right arm the next day. If you’re ever someplace where you can try this sport, do. It’s like old lady surfing, totally peaceful, good workout, just you and the water.

Since then I got in 3 more runs, each about 5 miles and one of which took me to the end of the world—literally. Here’s a shot I took from the end of Crystal Pier after my cool down. I didn’t manage to capture it, but there were dolphins playing in the surf of the great Pacific. I felt so grateful to have been able to do the run and to have that experience in a way that, for me, only San Diego can provide.

Workouts don’t just have to be in gyms and livings rooms. Especially those of you living in warmer climes, please take advantage of the outdoors (and for the love of all that’s good, please wear 100SPF sunscreen!!!!). And now that spring is here, those of us up north can head outside to get our workouts done. Whatever, wherever, please try to make exercise a part of your daily life.

4 comments:

Mary L. said...

sounds like the trip was a fabulous experience!

Anonymous said...

It was, Mary! Thank you for always leaving a comment. I don't think many people are reading the blog anymore, but I appreciate the comments because then I know at least one person is!

annieb said...

Your workouts sound amazing, Sandy.

La Cubana Gorda said...

that sounds awesome Sandy! I've always wanted to try "old lady surfing"!!