Wednesday, May 2, 2007

How to get a personal trainer on the cheap?


During the first few months of my weight loss effort, my usual workout was a less than strenuous routine that included 20 minutes on the elliptical machine at a low level and a 25 minute random romp around the weight machines. The poor planning and lazy execution left me with few visible improvements. Frustrated with my progress, I hired a personal trainer for a few sessions and she quickly helped me maximize my effort and deliver results.

Personal training is expensive, though, so I had to find alternative workouts to add spice and curb boredom. Last week while looking for new exercises to do at the gym I came across the Men's Health Personal Training website . The site charges you $12 to $16 bucks per month depending on the package you select but I've found it to be well worth the cost.
In order to get the full benefit of the site you’ll need to spend about 10 minutes answering some basic questions, such as "How many push ups can you do?" and "Have you been working out for 6 months, 1 year, etc?" to get your personalized workout info. The program then spits out a customized weekly work out that tells you exactly what exercises to do, how much weight you should use and the number or repetitions. Best of all the workouts change each time and are all 100% customized. The workouts can even be customized to the number of minutes you want to spend each day in the gym. They also provide printable versions of your workout, which you can take with you to the gym and check off as you move from exercise to exercise. So for you FIWers who want to get out of a workout rut or who are not sure you’re doing the right things at the gym, I recommend signing up. You'll find yourself lifting more weight and doing exercises that you've long forgotten about. The site also customizes your cardio workouts and can include an eating plan but the the eating plan isn't for me because I simply don't have the discipline to plan my meals for an entire week.

No comments: