Sunday, January 18, 2009

Can we keep it off?


















This week, I turned on Larry King and saw Erick Chopin, talking about the 122 pounds he gained back after winning last season's Biggest Loser. He now weighs almost 300 pounds--again.

A bit shocked, I put together a spread sheet that tracks El Cubano Gordo participant weight loss over the years. The data doesn't lie. Many of us simply regress back to our original weights.

Tom has suggested that we include a claw back provision to encourage long term weight loss. While I hate the constant battle with weight, I wonder, does the contest prevent year over year gains. If El Cubano Gordo didn't exist would I weigh 300 pounds? Scary thoughts, but ones worth considering as we approach the end of January and resolution motivation begins to slow.

No comments: