Friday, March 30, 2007

Still eating for 256

I weighed in on Monday at 240 lbs. It's a cruel truth, but I didn't lose any weight over the last 10 days. I guess I have to accept the fact that if I continue eating enough calories for a family of four I'll never get down to 230.

After my weigh in I wondered how many calories I burn daily and what type of deficit I need to create in order to continue losing. I discovered this nifty calculator on Discovery that calculates your BASIC METABOLIC RATE (BMR). BMR is a simple calculation that tells you the number of calories your body needs to simply exist. According to the BMR calculator on Discovery Health I burn 2,690 calories each day. Now that I know the number of calories I burn each day I can calculate how many I need to cut in order to lose 2 lbs per week.

Math: 3,500 calories = one pounds. 2lbs / week = 7,000 calories. This means I have to cut my caloric in take down to 2,200 calories per day and burn an extra 500 calories / day with exercise to create a caloric deficit of 7,000 calories / week. Ugh - sounds harder than I thought.

No comments: