Thursday, March 29, 2007

Food 2.0


Nothing inspires weightloss like a good-ole-fashioned contest. But the real hard work will come after the contest ends. Most people gain the weight back after they complete their diet. I know I have gained it all back after past diets.

I think the key to long-term success requires changing the paradigm from eating for fun to eating for health. Most of us eat what we want because it satisfies our wants. Huge corporations like McDonalds, Pepsi, and Domino's dedicate massive marketing budgets towards tantalizing us with foods that are terrible for us.

I think our ultimate success rests on our ability to change our mindset, not our ability to simply eat less food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Noah, I think you really hit the nail on the head with this post. I've noticed that skinny people don't obsess about food like I do. They really see it as nourishment, period. I really enjoy it. I see it as a reward, as a way to relax, as a way to celebrate, the list goes on.

While I'm not in the competition, I, too, recently committed to losing weight. Today, I had to take my kids to an Easter party after school. First let me say, that 95% of the moms at my kids' school are in awesome shape. (granted most of them don't work and have time to workout 2 hours or more daily.) Anyway, all my favorite foods were at this party. Cookies (home made), Peeps!, tons of candy, chips... if it has partially hydrogenated oils in it, I'm loving it... you get the picture. I was DYING inside! I'm proud to say that I was good and stayed away, but it was an incredible effort. As I watched the food table (drooling), though, I noticed that none of the skinny moms were anywhere near it and it didn't even look like it was a challenge for them to stay away!

Anyway, sorry for the long comment! Your post obviously touched me deeply. : ) Keep up the good work!