Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Tony, Captain and Toucan Sam - Can't we be friends?










This morning I went straight to the gym without breakfast. At the end of my hour-long workout I started feeling woozy and nearly puked all over the leg extension machine. I haven't puked after exercising since I ran with the 7th-grade cross country team. I learned that going to the gym on an empty stomach is not a good idea.

To prevent a near embarrassing situation, I cut my workout short and went to the gym's cafeteria where I downed an individual sized portion of Kashi Go Lean cereal. Normally, I'm a Captain Crunch man but this was an emergency and the vat of eggs in the stainless steel container was not going to help my nausea.

I poured skim milk into the bowl and started reading the label. Having eaten my way through plenty of Just Right and Smart St
art, I'm often skeptical of the health claims plastered on cereal boxes. However, this stuff delivers on its health promises; Each cup contains 140 calories, 13 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber. Their marketing materials claim that one serving supplies 40% of your daily fiber needs and 20% of your daily protein needs. Hopefully the Kashi people come up with a commercial as compelling as the Toucan. When compared to its peers you see Kashi is the clear winner.


Cereal Calories Fiber Protein
Boo Berry 116 0.5 1
Captain Crunch 143 1 2
Cheerios 114 1.5 4
Corn Flakes 97 0.5 2
Fiber One 123 28 5.3
Grape Nuts 389 8 5.5
Just Right 192 3 4
Kashi Go Lean 140 10 13
Lucky Charms 116 1 2
Raisin Bran 172 8 5.5
Wheaties 110 2 3




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your photo selections are gggggrreeeat! And Al, of course you guys can be friends. You just can't be best friends...who see each other every day.